Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Snowmageddon + sunshine = camping.

No, I'm not camping in "Winter Storm Kayla 2016" (I hate The Weather Channel's need to name storms)

Allow me to explain.
Cabin fever is starting to set in around our house. January was a pretty cold month, up until the end when it got really nice out. We were outside running in the grass like a dog just let out of it's kennel after a night of needing to pee. The Robin's were even singing one afternoon. It felt like SPRING! Then, we had a snowstorm.School canceled for two days and the roads are just a mess. The snow was extremely heavy and wet. About seven inches fell, and it looked more like four. My snowblower had a hard time moving it. Not good for sledding. Then, overnight, it turned into solid ice. Again, not good for much fun. Chunky and hard, you can't even build a snowman now.

BUT!

The sun came out first thing today. On top of that, Nature Cat (kids show on PBS) was on during breakfast. I was instantly flooded with thoughts of springtime and going camping. I asked my son if he was going to go camping with me when the weather gets nice out. "Yeah! Maybe!" Within about 30 seconds, I was planning our first overnight in my head. Thinking of what he could do to help, and whom else might like to go with us. My cousin has a son that is the same age, and they love the outdoors. They will for sure be going.


I wish I would've taken him last fall, but he was still a bit timid about a lot of things. I've seen a lot of growing up in the last couple months, and I think he's more than ready. I've got good gear and several great state parks close to home. I can't wait!!!

The grand plan here is to instill a sense of wonderment about the outdoors and being away from home. My wife is not outdoorsy at all, and I'm working slowly to change that. I took her on her first hike in camp trip last fall, and it went amazingly well. About a mile hike, perfect weather, a stack of firewood from the previous campers and a nice meal that I planned ahead for. We sat by the fire, chatting and sipping some drinks, totally alone for the first time in a long time. She agreed that it was really nice to get away from things and really relax, even if camping causes her a bit of anxiety. We'll work on that. :D


If I can get the kids interested in camping, and the wife to realize that it's actually pretty fun, we will be headed to the mountains in a few years. Tent for a night on the side of a mountain. Hotel for a night in a mountain town. Rinse and repeat.
I'm getting way ahead of myself here...

Springtime camping trip.

Stay focused.

-Kurt

No comments:

Post a Comment