Monday, July 27, 2015

BO KNOWS!

If you haven't seen any of the 30 for 30 documentaries, pick one and watch it! All of them are really good.

Yesterday, I skipped the bike trainer due to being exhausted from two nights of crappy sleep with my son kicking me most of the night during thunderstorms. He's nervous about storms. I was going to nap, but started looking though Netflix and saw the 30 for 30: You Don't Know Bo. If you are in your mid 30's or older, you should watch it! Bo was THE MAN! Short lived professional career, due to an injury, but he truly was an amazing athlete.

This actually got me excited for off season cross training. Nike had Bo as the main marketing guy for their new cross trainers. This is where the whole "Bo Know's" thing came from. I think it was Nike's best campaign ever. Who doesn't remember those commercials? Every kid had a Bo Know's poster on his wall. Great stuff!


This reminded me how I had gotten myself in great shape in 2009-2010. P90X. That's a great program, but I've ended up injured every time I've done it. My right elbow is messed up from it. I will most likely use portions of it when I can't get to the gym. One thing I do know I want to incorporate is the winter cycling program on beginnertriathlete.com. I've wanted to do that for years, and always forget about it until it's nearly spring. I've got trainerroad too, and it's a great tool! I may use a program of theirs instead, before or after.

I'm thinking of this really early. It's mostly due to the fact that I've been busting my butt doing triathlon training, and not seeing the type of change I want. Same thing happened back in 2008 and 2009. I thought all the swimming, biking and running would get me lean. Nope. It'll make you feel great. It'll give you an aerobic base that the gym rat's don't have. The only problems is, it doesn't build muscle like resistance training. Build muscle to burn fat OFF of your body, and keep it off. Keep up with the cycling, so that spring is a building phase instead of a base phase. Running? Swimming? I'll probably run and swim enough to keep things interesting. Swimming has always been a really nice way to have some active recovery. No impact, good aerobic and flexibility work, to break up the usual routines.

But before all of this can happen, I need to get through the State Games of America Triathlon, Gravel Worlds and maybe the Good Life Halfsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment