Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Approaching the FENIX

I ordered a Garmin Fenix 3 as my birthday present from my wife. That was back in mid January. It's FINALLY shipped, and should be here in a few days.

I've wanted a GPS sports watch for years. I finally pulled the trigger, since I think it's not only bad ass functional, but it's finally good looking enough to wear daily. A little bit on the big side, but still much, much better than the stuff I was considering back in 2009=10. Besides, it's almost a smart watch, with notifications and stuff. I won't get all into it, since I wouldn't do it justice anyhow. If you want to know more about it, check out DCRainmaker's write up. Seriously, more info than you need!

I'm super excited to see if this will help me figure out how to get faster, instead of just doing the workouts that I think are going to make me faster. I'm going to try to keep my HR down when I am supposed to, as well as get it peaked out when I'm doing those hard intervals.


Approaching the Natural.

Have you heard of it?

It's a book, by Sid Garza-Hillman. Basically a vegan type guy, certified nutritionist, and amateur athlete (ultra runner). I think he's sorta like Rich Roll, but not nearly as addicted to things. Hey Rich, you want to replace an unhealthy addiction with a healthy one, good for you. The thing is, you can preach your fanatical lifestyle to everyone that will listen and then some, but I doubt anyone will go as far as you did. I digress...

Sid has a very much opposite approach to the healthy lifestyle. Baby steps! I'll sum up what I heard on the first podcast of Sid's that I just listened to the other day. Take a deep breath.  

No, really. Take a deep breath right now, and do nothing but listen to your breath.

Done?

You just took a baby step toward meditating. Congratulations! You are not on Sid's "plan" for Approaching the Natural state of being a human animal.

Now, you can start drinking a glass of water in the morning. Or going for a walk regularly. Even taking your shoes off when you are out in the yard, playing with your kids/dog/self (lol).

There is a little more to it, but I'm not the nutritionist or writer or podcaster or athlete that he is. So go CHECK HIM OUT and see if it's something you dig, ya dig?

Cheers,
Kurt

No comments:

Post a Comment